The cupcakes are Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and the icing are from a recipe that I stole from here. I gotta say that I will be using the frosting for many more cupcakes to come. It is a sweet but not too sweet frosting that can be enjoyed by the kids and the adults.
CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES Makes 24
For the cake:
1 3/4 cups cake flour ** Don’t have cake flour? Make your own
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
4 egg whites plus 1 whole egg
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- In medium bowl combine flours, baking powder and salt and mix until well combined, set aside.
- Combine milk and vanilla, set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat, scraping sides of bowl until well combined.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients alternating with wet ingredients and mix well, scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Vanilla Buttercream.
For the icing:
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened 5 cups confectioner’s sugar 1 tsp vanilla chocolate chips
- In bowl of stand mixer beat butter on high speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time beating and scraping down bowl as necessary.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Continue beating icing for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Place icing in piping bag fitted with large round piping tip and decorate cupcakes.
- Add chocolate chips on top!